Friday, January 20, 2006

I Am An Animal Rescuer

This was sent to me by a fellow rescuer. I thought it really hit the mark so I wanted to post it here so people could maybe find it. I've found this site about the work the author does: wildheartranch

I Am An Animal Rescuer (by Annette King Tucker)


My job is to assist God's creatures
I was born with the need to fulfill their needs
I take in new family members without plan, thought, or selection
I have bought dog food with my last dime
I have patted a mangy head with a bare hand
I have hugged someone vicious and afraid
I have fallen in love a thousand times
and I have cried into the fur of a lifeless body
I have Animal Friends and friends who have Animal Friends
I don't often use the word "pet"
I notice those lost at the road side
and my heart aches
I will hand-raise a field mouse
and make friends with a vulture
I know of no creature unworthy of my time
I want to live forever if there aren't animals in Heaven
But I believe there are!
Why would God make something so perfect and leave it behind?
We may be master of the animals,
but the animals have mastered themselves --
something people still haven't learned
War and abuse make me hurt for the world
But a rescue that makes the news gives me hope for humankind
We are a quiet but determined army
and making a difference every day
There is nothing more necessary than warming an orphan,
nothing more rewarding than saving a life,
no higher recognition than watching them thrive
There is no greater joy than seeing a baby play
who, only days ago, was too weak to eat
I am an Animal Rescuer
My work is never done
My home is never quiet
My wallet is always empty
But my heart is always full
In the game of life, I have already won!

No comments:

Post a Comment