Friday, August 06, 2004

Splish Splash

You gotta love puppies, even when they piss you off they are having so much fun doing it.

I picked up a 4 month old puppy to foster yesterday. He is a cute rascal. His mom is a Portuguese Water Dog and his dad is a Lab. He is an active, playful, cuddley little guy with big feet and a shaggy, wirey looking coat that is actually pretty soft. He is black and scruffy looking and his name is Teddy.

Teddy took right to my dogs, and he and my male dog TS decided it was great fun to run circles around the storage building. While I watered the plants my other dogs steared clear of the relay around the building and through the garage, then back around the buiding, etc. When he was tired he came right over and plopped down in the runoff of water from the plants. Thinking he might be thirsty I showed him where the dog waterer was, silly me. He stepped right in and helped himself to a big drink and a big play, then went over and flopped down in the dirt. Uhg. Dirty puppy. Dirty, wet puppy. Oh well, the pet fair isn't until Saturday.

I went back to taking care of things in the garage and around the yard. It was getting late but the boys didn't seem to be slowing down. If anything the trips around and through seemed to have increased in speed. I just happened to glance out at the deck, and wondered how it had gotten so wet...when it dawned on me that Teddy could not have gotten in to that much water from the water bowl. Oh no, he had to have cleared the 3 foot high wall that encloses the fish pond. Sure enough, the ground was soaked, the mallard decoy was askew, and the fish were not pleased.

I wanted to get mad, but it was done and he wouldn't understand anyway. Besides, he looked so happy to have found such a grand source of water. He was, afterall, made for water. Between those 2 parents he could probably smell water 100 miles away. And his natural instinct would make it as hard to keep him out of water as it would to keep a beagle from food. So I smiled, and he leaned against my leg and got his sloppy, smiling face rubbed before I put him to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment