Thursday, May 20, 2004

eyes on the road...

not on your mascara, not on the morning paper, and not on the accident on the other side of the road. I can't believe there is all of this controversy over cell phone use in cars and no one is doing squat about the makeup ladies, the paper boys and the multitude of lookyloos. I know there are plenty of people that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, let alone talk and drive. But what I see most morning is so much worse. In my short 17 miles to work I saw a woman on the freeway, in the fast lane, driving the rate of traffic which was about 50mph, with her visor mirror down using both hands to apply her mascara. How exactly do you drive and avoid causing an accident that way? We were all just lucky that she didn't need to respond to anything until her more important task was done. Then there was the electician van on the expressway which evidently had an urgent need to catch up on the daily newspaper, and not while we were stopped at a light - which is bad enough since they never see the light turn green. He was actually using both hands to hold the paper in front of the wheel as he drove and read. (I actually honked at that guy and told him to put the fucking paper down and drive. I'll get myself shot someday probably.) This is not multitasking, people. Driving is multitasking. You control the momentum of your vehicle, the direction of your vehicle, you watch other vehicles, you listen for emergency vehicles, you watch for children and pets that move suddenly and unpredictably, and you pay attention to those around you.

I heard on the news yesterday that there is a bill being proposed that would make it a traffic offense to be caught changing the station on the radio, talking to a pet or child in the car, or using your phone. First offense will be a $35 fine. I would have hoped we wouldn't have to get so specific about what you can't do when driving. I would have hoped driving while distacted and not having your eyes on the road and your vehicle under your immediate control would have been enough - God knows cops take enough liberties as it is why not that as well, but that is a whole 'nother rant. Now it seems that we will list what you can't do. What that means to me is that none of the people I encountered today will pay a fine for their actions because some lawyer will challenge the law based on what isn't listed outright.

I am not some stick in the mud fuddy duddy that drives just below the limit to make sure I'm safe. I do stupid things sometimes when I shouldn't but come on people!! Get your collective heads out of your asses and get your eyes on the task at hand, driving your cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment