Wednesday, May 26, 2004

every now and again the sun shines

OK, I was mostly planning on venting on this blog but I find that I need to share a good thing. I work with a rescue and foster young shy dogs until we can find them good homes. I recently had one little girl that was really shy, she would run and cry when you reached for her. But I brought her around and found a REALLY nice family for her. However, they were so nice they didn't know how to show her their strengths, so she ran from them and hid for a full 24 hrs. They were having a really hard time, trying to give her space. I went over and explained to them that giving her space was actually positive reinforcement for her hiding. What they needed to do was get her on a leash, keep her near them, give her lots of love and build her confidence in herself as well as them. I poked a stick at them today for an update and this is what I got:

Kate! I was going to call you this week to let you know how well things are going. So far: She's visited the vet, my Mom's house, had an evening walk/carry down Santana Row (lots of attention from sidewalk diners), had her first leash walk, gained a few pounds, and graciously hosted the 2 corgi's who are our house guests (all three growling at first but now playing nicely). She's stuck like glue to me yet still charges sideways if I approach her walking. She's come so far and I expect will be even further along by nightfall. Tonight we're taking her to Princeton (Half moon bay) for dinner out and a walk on the beach. Spoiled? You bet! But still adhering to the Nothing is Free program. I'll call you later in the week. P.S. She sits on command now and doesn't even think about the food bowl going down on the floor until she's sitting. Your advise was so good!

I love updates like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment