Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Evil, Evil vet, just ask the dogs

Well, yesterday was time for my 2 remaining dogs to get their booster shots, heart worm tests, and general exam. We have a new vet. She's very nice. Helped us with our 3 most difficult situations in recent time. But I was not sure she had enough charm to win the problem children over.

T.S., the border collie, has been a wreck at the vet since he was a puppy and had to spend 2 weeks in isolation with pneumonia. Since then he trusts no one through those doors. He whines, shivers, paces. He tries to climb in to my lap. He looks like he'd like to bite them, but he's even too afraid for that.

Ekko, my deaf cattle dog, loves people. But she absolutely senses when your intentions change. You can play with her ears, until you want to look in them. You can touch her feet, until you want to examine them. And don't even THINK about the teeth. Just try to sneak a look as she pants. If you restrain her it's like trying to hold a wild fawn.

But, the good doctor came in and sat right down on the floor, at dog level. T.S. stuck his nose to her outstretched hand and looked at me like "can I bite it?". Then backed up into my lap. My brave boy. Ekko was a bit more curious. She approached the good doctor, and even climbed in to her lap. She let her play with her ears, and sneak in a quick look. But then all trust was shattered when she went to look at her teeth. The good doctor didn't give in though. She held on, got knocked in the jaw, hit her elbow on the door, and got sprayed by Ekko's anal sacs (Which is VERY stinky if you don't know. My friend Mar calls it butt juice. It smells like dead fish.) when all other efforts at escape failed. She didn't look at the teeth, but she did hold on until she calmed down. But I still think Ekko won that one. Especially since she would now have to go home and do laundry.

So then it was time to examine T.S. Truthfully, he is better if I am not around. He is still a puss, but less inclined to bite and more inclined to shrink up. So I suggested they go ahead and take him int he back to give him his blood test, etc. There was a lot of commotion from the back, which left us in the room wondering exactly what was going on. The good doctor came back and told us he did fine, just pooped on his leash when they were working with him. That's my boy.

Clearly, this was no better experience than any of the others if you are the dogs. Forget about the fact that the vet is nice, or that she may become a family friend, or that she may come visit the house. I hope they don't carry a grudge if she stops by sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment